How can you sell without being salesy or slimy? What are your beliefs when it comes to money and selling? Why is it important to understand that you are not your business?
In this podcast episode, Joe Sanok speaks with Amanda Abella about why you need to learn to sell and stop thinking of yourself as your business.
Podcast Sponsor: Therapy Notes
Try out TherapyNotes! It makes notes, billing, scheduling, and telehealth a whole lot easier. Check it out and you will quickly see why it’s the highest-rated EHR on TrustPilot with over 1000 verified customer reviews and an average customer rating of 4.9/5 stars.
You’ll notice the difference from the first day you sign up for a trial. They offer live phone support 7 days a week.
So when you have questions, you can quickly reach someone who can help, you are never wasting your time looking for answers.
If you are coming from another EHR, they make the transition really easy. TherapyNotes will import your clients’ demographic data free of charge during your trial so you can get going right away.
To get 3 free months of TherapyNotes, no strings attached including their very reliable telehealth platform click here.
Meet Amanda Abella
Amanda Abella is an award-winning content creator, keynote speaker, and business coach who specializes in helping business owners activate their persuasion prowess so they can make more money and live a more affluent life. Her clients go from hating sales and marketing to achieving 90% close rates and closing multiple five-figure deals.
Amanda’s work has been featured in Forbes, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Univision, and many more. She’s also the Amazon bestselling author of Make Money Your Honey.
FREEBIE: Check out Amanda’s Free Sales Template
In This Podcast
- Resistance to selling
- Selling as a coach, consultant, or therapist
- How to not be slimy when selling
- Understanding that you are not your business
Resistance to selling
The resistance to selling is completely normal and it generally comes from a few triggers:
- Conditioning to not promote yourself
- Personal bad experiences with sales
A lot of it comes down to our own triggers around money, and also a fundamental misunderstanding of what sales is supposed to be. Because ultimately, at the end of the day, sales is just making sure that people are being taken care of. (Amanda Abella)
Selling as a coach, consultant, or therapist
Because the nature of your business is building relationships, you may sometimes feel conflicted when trying to sell. It can feel like you need to choose between doing good and making money.
Mother Theresa was a hell of a fundraiser. Fund raising is sales. (Amanda Abella)
In order for you to make a big impact and create change, you need resources, and this requires money.
How to not be slimy when selling
Sales is a science and an art.
Therapists make really great sales people once they understand what sales is, because they understand human behavior. (Amanda Abella)
There are 3 things to consider here:
- The Science of Mechanics: how do you handle objections; how do you pre-qualify somebody?
- The Art of Being of service to other people: being in your own head too much and only thinking about what the client is going to think about you. Learn to let go of perfection.
- Don’t think about the money: shift your focus on mastering a skill set.
Understanding that you are not your business
- Your business exists outside of you as its own entity
- Create a business model that does not have you trading your time for money
You will not be able to fully scale your business if you continue offering only one-on-one services. Look at your specialty and decide if you can create a training program that can help a lot of people. This will help you expand your business by moving away from spending all of your time in the chair.
Useful Links mentioned in this episode:
- Visit Amanda Abella’s website and listen to her podcast
- Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- See also Persuade to Profit and High Ticket Sales for Women
- FREEBIE: Check out Amanda’s Free Sales Template
- Therapy Notes – try it for free for 3 months by using the promo code ‘JOE’
Check out these additional resources:
- Ask Joe: How to get more corporate and speaking engagements? | PoP 643
- Apply to work together
- Next Level Practice
- Sign up for Next Level Practice — Cohort Open!
- Events – click on the event’s dropdown
- Sign up to join the free webinars and events here
- Podcast Launch School
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network
- Free resources to help you start, grow, and scale
- Apply to work with us — decision-making matrix for your next steps
Meet Joe Sanok
Joe Sanok helps counselors to create thriving practices that are the envy of other counselors. He has helped counselors to grow their businesses by 50-500% and is proud of all the private practice owners that are growing their income, influence, and impact on the world. Click here to explore consulting with Joe.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!